It feels a lot like déjà vu again as the Singapore-Hong Kong travel bubble, which is set to take off on 26 May, will be deferred once again.
The decision to postpone the travel bubble was announced following the Monday meeting between Singapore's Transport Minister S Iswaran and Hong Kong Secretary for Commerce and Economic Development Edward Yau on the issue, reported The Straits Times.
Singapore and Hong Kong remain committed to launching the travel bubble safely and will also respect the resumption mechanisms that both sides had agreed on, said the authorities.
Both cities had earlier agreed that the agreement would be suspended when the seven-day moving average of unlinked community cases in either Singapore or Hong Kong increases to more than five.
The seven-day moving average of unlinked community cases in Singapore, as of Sunday (17 May), had grown to almost five.
A sharp rise in Covid-19 community infections and the emergence of new virus clusters linked to variants in Singapore has also led to a tightening of pandemic measures in Singapore.
Singapore has reverted to phrase 2 (heightened alert) status to curb the Covid-19 spread, with additional measures and restrictions in place from Sunday to 13 June.
Jewel as well as Terminals 1 and 3 have been closed to members of the public since last Thursday, but Changi Airport remains open for air travel during this period.
The travel bubble was originally scheduled to launch in November 2020 but a spike in cases in Hong Kong then eventually led to its postponement.
Meanwhile, the World Economic Forum (WEF) has announced the cancellation of its 2021 meeting that was due to take place in Singapore in mid-August. The high-profile event, which would bring world politicians and business leaders together, had already been rescheduled twice.
WEF said the meeting will instead take place in 1H 2022, with a final location and date to be announced later this year.