Tourism New Zealand recently concluded its inaugural global trade
incentive campaign, following the successful launch of its 100% Pure New
Zealand global campaign. The trade initiative aimed to support tourism
recovery in New Zealand by encouraging travel agents to enhance their
destination knowledge and seek more opportunities.
During the trip between 17-22 April, travel agents from various
countries, including Australia, Germany, Japan, North America,
Singapore, South Korea, India, and the UK, experienced unique
seeker-themed activities and sensory experiences carefully selected in
line with the IF YOU SEEK campaign.
In the North Island, they explored Waiheke Island with a Māori
welcome ceremony and a bespoke tour, visited the Maungatautari
conservation reserve to learn about endangered species preservation
efforts, and embarked on a guided tour of the iconic Hobbiton Movie Set.
They also enjoyed the enchanting Redwoods Nightlights tour in
Rotorua's redwood forest, experienced the Hell's Gate Geothermal Reserve
and Mud Spa, went on a wildlife cruise in the Bay of Islands, took part
in thrilling canopy tours in Rotorua's ancient forests, and embarked on
a cycling adventure along the Twin Coast Cycle trail.
The trip also included visits to historical sites such as The Stone
Store and Kemp House, as well as the Waitangi Treaty Grounds.
Hell's Gate in New Zealand offers a unique outdoor mud bath experience, traditionally used by Māori for therapeutic purposes.
Tourism New Zealand recognises the importance of trade partners in
promoting the destination and believes that firsthand destination
experiences empower travel agents and tour operators to sell with
Ajay Prakash, president of The Travel Agents Federation of India
(TAFI), commended Tourism New Zealand's efforts, stating, "I think it's
an excellent initiative. There's nothing to beat first-hand destination
experience - that's what empowers the travel agent and tour operator to
sell with confidence. Tour operators are the extended marketing arm of
any tourism board and it's good to see Tourism New Zealand reaching out
to and rewarding their partners."
Air New Zealand, as the airline partner, also sees the campaign as an
opportunity to strengthen engagement with trade partners and showcase
the airline's offerings.
The initiative has received positive feedback from industry
professionals, highlighting the collaborative efforts of Tourism New
Zealand and its partners in driving tourism recovery and inspiring
travel agents to create meaningful conversations and generate interest
in New Zealand as a desirable destination.
Travel agents had the opportunity to immerse themselves in the rich Maori culture and traditions firsthand.
The full itinerary:
- Waiheke Island:
- Pōwhiri (Māori welcome ceremony) at Piritahi Marae
- Bespoke tour of the island led by Ananda Tours
- Visit to Batch Winery
- Maungatautari (Sanctuary Mountain):
- Private guided tour of the conservation reserve
- Learn about efforts to re-introduce and breed endangered species
- Witness the world's largest pest-proof fence
- Hobbiton Movie Set Tours:
- Enchanting guided tour through the picturesque pastures of Hobbiton
- Explore the iconic movie set from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit Trilogies
- Redwoods Treewalk:
- Redwoods Nightlights tour through Rotorua's redwood forest
- Experience the magical ambiance under the stars
- Admire 34 lanterns by renowned designer David Trubridge
- Hell’s Gate Geothermal Reserve and Mud Spa:
- The Hell’s Gate Experience
- Interactive geothermal walk
- Mud baths and sulphur spas
- Carino Wildlife Cruises:
- Sightseeing and dolphin-watching sail through the Bay of Islands
- Canopy Tours in Rotorua:
- Exciting zipline activity through the magnificent canopies and ancient forests
- Top Trail Cycle Hire and Tours:
- Adventure-packed cycling adventure along the Twin Coast Cycle trail
- Spanning from Opua in the Bay of Islands to Horeke in the Hokianga
- The Stone Store and Kemp House:
- Visit to one of New Zealand's oldest historical sites
- Explore the stories of Māori and European missionaries
- Waitangi Treaty Grounds:
- Guided tour of New Zealand's most important historic site
- Māori cultural experience
- Witness the world's largest ceremonial waka.