IndonesiaGovernor steps in with peace pact offer.

Land swap deal could solve Bali memorial park rift

By
|
Bali 190506
Bali governor heeds calls for a peace park.
Bali 190506

Governor Wayan Koster has offered the landowner an alternative site about 1.5 kilometres from the bombing site, in exchange for the Sari Club plot, which would then be freed to be turned into a memorial park.

A controversial project to build a multi-story development at the Sari Club site of the October 2002 Bali bombings that killed 202 people has been put on hold following complaints from Australia, and the intervention of the governor of Bali.

The ground-breaking ceremony for the five-story building was scheduled for last Wednesday, but it has been postponed while the governor tries to broker a solution, involving a land swap.

Governor Wayan Koster has offered the landowner an alternative site about 1.5 kilometres from the bombing site, in exchange for the Sari Club plot, which would then be freed to be turned into a memorial park.

Members of the Bali Peace Park Association said the owner had once asked for US$26 million to buy the Kuta site, and gradually reduced his asking price to about US$5 million, which they claimed was still far more than the site was worth. The association values the land at US$2.5 million.

Some 88 Australian nationals were among those killed in the Bali bombings. 

Australia's Prime Minister Scott Morrison called the Sari Club redevelopment plan "deeply distressing" and called for the Indonesian government to help solve the issue.

Property owner Lila Tania previously said the land had not been used for 17 years, causing her family to suffer financial losses.

Tania said she was willing to sell the property to Bali Peace Park Association if it could offer her a reasonable price.


JDS Travel News JDS Viewpoints JDS Africa/MI