Princess Cruises has embarked on its largest deployment into Alaska for the May to September season with the arrival of Ruby Princess in Ketchikan and Juneau.
The cruise line will have seven ships plying the Alaskan waters, including the inaugural season of Royal Princess, starting May 11.
Passengers will be able to enjoy new onboard programmes on all Alaska sailings in conjunction with its 50th anniversary season. These include specially-themed offerings from local seafood shore excursions to an indoor planetarium experience, where guests can gazes up at the Northern Lights and tastings of “glacier tea” and beer.
The cruise line has ferried more than five million passengers in Alaska over the past 50 years, which it claims to be the largest compared to other cruise lines.
It offers cruise and cruise tour options that take in the state’s nature attractions, including Glacier Bay National Park and Denali National Park.
Alaska sailings range from seven to 12 days, departing from Vancouver, Anchorage (Whittier), Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles. Princess also owns and operates five wilderness lodges in riverside locations near national parks with more than 20 cruise tour options.
Passengers can combine a seven-day cruise with a multi-night land tour that includes an exclusive rail service that takes travellers direct to the Great Land.
New this year is the opening of a new restaurant and bar at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge.
Fannie Q’s Saloon serves locally inspired dishes in a modern saloon setting, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. There’s also a new Fireside Patio with three firepits and a fast-casual restaurant, Grizzly Burger.
There are also a number of new shore excursions in Juneau, Ketchikan, and Icy Strait Point:
- Hubbard Glacier & Wilderness Exploration – Hubbard Glacier
- Luxury Whale Watch by Yacht – Juneau
- Interactive Self-Guided Jeep Adventure – Juneau
- Ketchikan Pub Walk – Ketchikan
- Rainforest Trail Bike & Hike Adventure – Ketchikan
- Seafood Feast & Tribal Dance Show – Icy Strait Point
- Tree Top Adventure Park & Zipline – Icy Strait Point
- Adventure Park & ZipRider Combo – Icy Strait Point
- Wilderness Hike & Kayak Adventure – Icy Strait Point
- Discovering the Birds of Hoonah – Icy Strait Point